Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Feelin Alright

So, I'm back to job hunting...

Last week I had an interview for door to door sales and the guy told me I should have been in sales ages ago. So I tried it out for a few days and it was brutal. Walking around for hours on end, knocking on people's doors trying to get them to donate to charity during a recession is not the easiest thing to do! Plus, you don't get paid by the hour, only by commission. I tried it out for a few days but the whole setup seemed a bit dodgy and my feet just couldn't handle it. Hey, I'm used to working in an office! But the people I worked with were so fun and extremely nice, so I'll definitely miss that about the job. I also got to go to places in Dublin I wouldn't normally go to... the suburbs and whatnot. I went to Swords one day, and it's right along the coast and it was beautiful. But I didn't get to see much 'cause I was working..!

Yesterday I had a meeting with another temp agency so she said she'd try to find me a job. Hopefully I'll get something soon. I'll probably hit the pavement tomorrow and apply at retil shops or something... we'll see. I'm looking forward to having a steady income so I can start travelling around Ireland and the rest of Europe.

I've still been going out a lot! It's fun to check out new pubs and meet new people. There's no shortage of pubs and interesting people here, that's for sure.

On Saturday my flatmates and I are hosting a BBQ. I think we're the only ones here with a BBQ so we may as well use it! I'm thinking of making a pasta salad because that's pretty hard to screw up... hahah.

It hasn't rained here for awhile, but it started to today and I don't think it'll stop for another week, probably. We even had sunshine the past couple of days, so we should be grateful for that! I got to wear my sunglasses! A real rarity in Dublin.

People always comment on my accent here. It's so funny 'cause to me they're the ones with the accent! I often get people asking me if I'm American... and my answer is always "NO! I'm North American... I'm from Canada," and they always apologize. If they're Irish, I tell them that calling me American is like me calling them English... which they absolutely hate! hahah.

The other night I watched the movie In The Name of The Father with Daniel Day Lewis. Some of that movie is filmed right near my place! The jail in the movie is literally a 10 minute walk from my flat. It's now a museum. I visited it when I first came to Dublin in May, it's actually called Kilmainham Gaol. Pretty cool, eh?

Not much else is going on. The rest of my week is pretty booked -- I'm meeting friends every night this week [except Saturday, the day of the BBQ!] at a different pub each time. By the end of this year I'm sure I would have visited at least half of Dublin's pubs... hahah, yeah right! There's just too many to even count. It's like a piece of heaven on earth.

1 comment:

grandmahelen302 said...

Hi Lisa, glad that you are still enjoying your Irish adventure. hope that your bbq goes well...and that full time work comes your way soon.
love you and miss you
grandma